Is this for me?
This experience is for you if you want:
- Personal drama
- A nordic style larp, played out in a unique setting evolving around the aftermath of a brutal war
- Themes on a spectrum from family and broken expectations to romance and vengeance – with a pinch of mysticism
- A story with a set stage where you can focus completely on the conflicts in the game
- A larp that raises the question of what a real victory is. If your enemies are rivaling houses, many of whom are your friends and family, wherein lies the true victory? Does anyone even win?
- Appropriate workshops (regarding game mechanics and safety techniques) to properly introduce you to the world, your groups and the setting itself
This larp is not for you if you seek to:
- “Win the game” through power or strength
- Fight in epic battles
- Keep all your secrets close to your chest
- Play a high fantasy game with obvious magic and magical creatures
- Wander around in a historically accurate representation
- Unexpected outside threats in the narrative used to push the plot forward
- Many player rules and numerical stats
- A plot where you are to prevent an impending disaster; e.g. the end of the world
Inspired by Game of Thrones, The Tudors, European history and a dash of Shakespeare, we have created an intense larp where you can fully immerse yourself into the world of the fictional setting ‘The Starlands’ as people inhabiting the war-ravaged lands.
Gender and background
We highly encourage all genders and backgrounds to join this larp.
Please note that there are only binary roles (men and women) ingame, but all genders are welcome to play all characters. In the casting form you will be asked whether you want to play a male or a female character, but this has nothing to do with your offgame gender.
Please note that this will be an international larp, and we probably all have different larp cultures. Be observant and empathetic. If you can sense that another participant is either insecure or reacts in a way you’re not used to, rather go off-game and talk with each other to ensure that you’re all having fun.
Safety is of utmost importance to us. Since we do have different playing cultures, there will be workshops of how to escalate slowly and leave situations. Please note that Spoils of War will feature physical interactions, and good baseline that you should be okay with could be e.g. a stranger touching your arm, holding your hand or kissing you on the cheek. If you are not comfortable with this, Spoils of War is probably not a larp for you.
Spoils of War is a larp containing dark themes, and it can include triggering subjects such as violence, war crimes, sexual violence, pregnancy, abortion and racism. You will NEVER be forced into this kind of play, if you don’t want to, you can always leave a situation. You are always in control of your own body! But you have to be okay with the themes being part of the larp, and the fact that they might be played out while you are present.
Characters can choose to act in violent or sexual ways, experience dramatic breakdowns or suffer from mortifying humiliations.
Our philosophy is that self-care comes first. We expect you to take responsibility for your own experience and well-being. To help you with this, we will provide a designated safety person on location if you need to talk to someone during the LARP.
There is also an offgame room where you can take breaks from the game. Here you can also have a talk with the game masters if you feel that your game has gotten stuck.
Sexism, racism, body shaming, non-consensual sexual behavior and bullying based on offgame traits are strictly forbidden at this larp. Please note, however, that some characters will display an inherent racism towards the other culture in the game; “The Woodlanders”. Some characters will also play Woodlanders, but you will only get cast into this kind of character if you specifically state in the casting form that this is a concept you want to include as part of your game.